Field Study

Mohammed Fahim

Proffesor Sletnz 

ENG 210

03/09/2022

When I was a young boy, and my mother would grow flowers and plants into our backyard, I thought to myself, what is the process, and how long does this take. You may think it’s self-explanatory, and it is pretty straightforward. Except it is not. Seeing her hard work and dedication to these plants and flowers, I understood it was not easy. And even sometimes, there will be a failure where things don’t go well. And that’s okay. I decided to go out of my way and choose to observe a plant over time—approximately two weeks. My idea was not to see how much I could grow a plant over two weeks because I felt like I did not have enough expertise. But I did buy a bunch of roses from a flower shop and decided to see the skills I currently have and everything I saw as a bit of a kid from my mother and implement it towards taking care of this plant. I am a very busy person where I am a full-time student and working. I know I would not put my full potential to keep these flowers healthy and alive.

I got around a dozen white roses from Matles Florist by Columbus Circle. They were pretty cheap. It was about 2$ per stem. For manhattan, that was a deal! I got white because you can tell if they have been taken good care of since it is white. If it looks like it is tarnishing, you can also mean much more quickly than any other color, in my opinion. I did not have time to go out and buy a vase, and the ones from Matles were way too expensive. When I quickly got home, I had to find an alternative to a vase. I thought of a cup at first, but it kept tipping over. Then I saw a water jug, and it was perfect. I filled it with water and put my roses inside. 

There was a minor issue with the placement of the roses, to put them in direct sunlight was not going to happen. The slight edge on my window was minimal, and the vase would’ve tipped over if I had left it there. I left it on top of my kitchen table. There was a little bit of sunlight that hit it when it was sunny. I was not expecting any huge change right away. This was my first time taking care of some sort of flower. The first day I had left it at that. I went there for two days. There was a minimal sudden change when I came back from work to check. The rose petals started to turn a little brown. I decided to research what that means to avoid that happening more tremendously. I concluded that there was too much heat absorbing the rose petals. Since it is in the kitchen, there is a lot of heat going on, especially in a South Asian household. So I decided to move it into my room. But things turned out bad. I could not keep it in my room because there was no space. I had to leave it where it was. Long story short, my flowers ended up dying. Unforuently I do not have enough photographs to show that because my mom had thrown them out since they have died. 

The first day: Looks fresh and beautiful.

Fourth day: A slight browning and kind of falling. 

Seventh-day: Very close to dying.